Direct Support Worker – Community (Full Time)
Website Community Living Huntsville
Are you a problem-solver who wants to be a champion of change for people with developmental disabilities? Do you to build a strong, inclusive community? You can make a big impact as a Direct Support Professional with Community Living Huntsville!
Our passionate team is dedicated to advancing inclusion for people who live with developmental disabilities in North Muskoka. As a Direct Support Professional, you will support people in their homes, workplaces, and communities in a way that empowers them and helps them achieve their goals, while being an advocate for inclusion.
And while you are making a difference in people’s lives, we will work hard to make a difference in yours with competitive pay, employer-paid benefits, ongoing training and professional development opportunities, a robust employee and family assistance program, positive and collaborative team environment, and opportunities for career advancement.
- Grow an understanding of the people you support, and encourage them to actively explore their interests and determine their life goals
- Coordinate and facilitate Person-Directed Plan meetings for the people you support, and support them in the development and implementation of their Person-Directed Plans
- Support people to build independence both at home and in the community
- Support people to grow relationships with family, friends, community members, employers, and community associations
- Support people to find, secure, and sustain housing
- Help people connect with community spaces and resources
- Encourage and support people’s community participation based on their goals, support them to overcome barriers in the community, and advocate alongside them to promote a more inclusive community
- Assist people with personal care, as needed, in a way that respects their choices, abilities, and dignity, and facilitates their daily, weekly, and monthly rhythms and routines
- Provide encouragement, education, and support, as necessary, to enable people to carry out and improve their daily living skills
- Support the health, safety, and medical needs of the people you support
We want our team members to feel supported and thrive in our organization. We offer:
- Competitive pay of $27.05 per hour
- Opportunities for additional hours
- Employer-paid benefits, vacation, and sick time
- Ongoing training and Professional development opportunities
- Robust employee and family assistance program
- Rewarding work in a positive and collaborative team environment
- Opportunities for career advancement
- Knowledge about and commitment to disability rights, the principles of inclusion, and the Community Living Movement
- DSW diploma or 2-year diploma in the Human Services field
- If you do not have the required educational qualifications, but have extensive directly related experience, you may apply for the position and we will determine whether your experience is deemed to be equivalent to the education required.
- Strong communication skills
- Physical ability to support people, some with limited mobility, in all aspects of daily living and in different settings
- Tolerance of, and ability to handle, a heavy workload and competing demands
- Ability to use and learn new technology (computers, software programs, phones, printer/scanners, alarm/security systems, etc.)
- Current First Aid/CPR certification, or willingness to obtain
- Valid driver’s license, acceptable driver’s abstract and reliable transportation to be used in course of employment
- Ability to obtain a clear Vulnerable Sector Check
- Free of communicable diseases
- Ability, availability, and commitment to work a variety of shifts, including evenings, overnights, and weekends
If you have most, but not all, of the qualifications listed above and you believe that you would be the ideal candidate for this position, please write to us and tell us why you feel your skills and abilities would make you a great fit for this position.
Apply today to join us as a Direct Support Professional with our Supported Living team so you can use your skills, make an impact, and spark social change!
Community Living Huntsville is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to diversity and inclusion. Applications from all qualified candidates are welcome. Applications are strongly encouraged from people with disabilities, racialized people, Indigenous people, and people from the LGBTQ2+ community. If you need any form of accommodation in the application process, or require this job posting in another format, please contact Lisa at email@example.com or 705-783-1816.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org